Tuesday, December 13, 2011

want rust?

here is a quick way to make some rust....


so you have your shiny new tins and you want to make them look old....


like this...


this is what you need, I just pick mine up from the Dollar Tree...
Hydrogen peroxide, alcohol, and salt,
use a glass bowl or for alot, a glass pan, you want whatever you are rusting to be completely covered,
the ratio is about, 1cup peroxide to 1/8 cup alcohol, I don't measure, just eyeball it...
pour the peroxide and alcohol in...


then add your tin, and shake some salt on it...


you will see it start to work, just watch and take out when its the desired rustiness you like.
then I just dry it with a paper towel, that way it will rust a little more...


then you have some yummi aged rusty tins, or cookie cutters, pins,
ready for crafting...
hope this helps!

ps. when doing alot, don't be alarmed by the ugly rust colored foam on top, just shows its working.



I am joining these parties...
Savvy Southern Style's Wow Us Wednesday's
The Shabby Creek Cottage's, Transformation Thursday's
French Country's Feathered Nest Friday's
My Romantic Homes, Show and Tell Friday's
Chic on a Shoestring Decorating's Flaunt it Fridays
The Charm of Home's, Home Sweet Home
At the Picket Fence's, Inspiration Friday
Laurie Anna's Vintage Home's, Farmhouse Friday's

25 comments:

  1. I love adding age. Rust, tarnish, grunge, etc. This is a technique I love. Your tins are beautifully weathered. Love em!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tins look like antiques, and this is a brilliant way to achieve that look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stefanie

    What a great tip for us creative gals. I love the way your tins look. Happy Holidays to you my friend.

    xoxo
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl you are the master!!!

    That's just genius...thanks for the share!

    God bless and have yourself a magnificent day sweetie!

    BTW: Giveaway...my place..ya'll come. I'll leave the door open and set out some homemade candy! Heeehehe!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tip, love how your tins turned out! Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. So awesome Stefanie! I have looked for a recipe to do this for months and couldn't find one!!

    I have a whole bag of these little tins!! Can't wait to give them some rusty charm!

    And can I please tell you again how much I am enjoying all of my goodies??? I love each and every one! Thank you again for your fab giveaway! Some of the items will be showing up in my creations!!

    Hope your holidays are full of wonder, joy and love!!!!
    Blessings and hugs,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey sweetie, I just wanted to thank your for visitin' with your sweet comment and hoppin' on my blog. I sure hope ya'll enjoy the ride.

    God bless and please drop in often. The door of the Ponderosa is always open! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an awesome idea. I am going to try this, I don't like shiny metal. Thanks for showing us how to rust.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I book marked this...Thank you I had no idea how to make rust!!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay Stefanie..now I have to rust something!!!
    Love it.
    xo Tami

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I will try that next time. I've been using bleach and white vinegar with salt. That mixture is so strong and toxic....you have to do this outside.

    Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an awesome tutorial! Will have to try this sometime - thank you so much for sharing! :)

    XO's,
    Jessie

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so great, and it will come in handy:) Thanks for sharing as a tutorial.

    Annika

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a great idea...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stefanie,
    Thanks so much for leaving your sweet comment on my blog. And for becoming a member.

    I'm so glad to find your blog too!
    Christine
    Yellow Dog Design

    p.s. I'm totally going to do the rust thing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Who knew? What a cool idea! I'm so glad to "meet" you and to have you as a new blog follower.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great idea - Thanks for sharing :)

    Greetings from Australia♥

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is like having a fabulous chemistry class! Thanks for the tutorial! Now I know how to make new tins look vintage-y :)

    Welcome to Petites Passions! I am so happy to have you! I will be looking forward for more inspirations from you. I love your blog :) I am your newest follower

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very interesting technique. I'll store it away fora future project.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You have just saved me money...gotta love that! I'm a new follower so I don't miss your great ideas. Stop by and visit and follow too if you like. Warm wishes

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amazing, thanks for sharing:-)
    Hugs, Biljana

    ReplyDelete
  22. So warm,cozy and inviting...Thank you for sharing this season of joy and pink!HPS!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well that sounds like a fun project! Great idea~
    Bristol

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home! Have a very Merry Christmas!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete